Libraries that I have used, worked at or simply visited!

Now check out our Flickr page!

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Wo zum Teufel ist Freising?!

Where is Freising you ask? Freising is located in southern Bavaria and during the Middle Ages was one of the most important cities in Germany (or as it was then known, the Holy Roman Empire). The public library in Freising (Stadtbibliothek Freising) was founded in 1959 and was first located in the old city hall. When I first started frequenting the library in 1988 during my studies in Munich, it had already been located in the Marcushaus at Marienplatz for the past 15 years. Sadly, I failed to take any pictures when I was there but I did find some on their website including some in black & white which could possibly even be from the 70's!




In November of 1991, the library reopened in Praetnerhaus located on Obere Hauptstrasse. Amazingly I didn't get to Bavaria at all during the 90's, so I didn't get here until the summer of 2000. There was considerably more room at this location compared to the Marcushaus location, but of course we librarians know that doesn't last long! Again, here are some pictures from the website as I was too lazy to take my own!


The present library resides on Weizengasse since 2006 but because I haven't been there yet, no pictures! Guess what I'll be doing next time I'm in Freising!

No comments:

Post a Comment